While it’s mostly known for its fun and entertaining videos, TikTok is also a powerful marketing tool for businesses of all types, including plastic surgeons. This is because TikTok allows businesses to target a specific audience with laser precision and engages consumers at a higher rate than other social media platforms.
Let’s take a look at some marketing data that establishes where the cosmetic surgery industry and TikTok are now, where they are headed, and why it’s important for plastic surgeons.
Global advertising research firm Allied Market Research suggests that in 2021 alone, the cosmetic surgery market was valued at approximately $67.3 billion and is expected to increase by more than double to an estimated $201 billion in 2031, just a decade later.
According to Sprout Social, 72% of users report that they are more influenced by ads and promotional content on TikTok versus other social media platforms like Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter. The platform currently has 1 billion active users each month and growing, and 37% of them have incomes over $100,000 per year. To boot, two-thirds of TikTok’s user base — 61% — are women.
But what do these figures have in common? First, they suggest that within the next 10 years, there’s going to be a lot of money to be made in the field of cosmetic surgery, and Tik Tok is where the majority of consumers will be looking for promotional content or ads they want to engage with.
As a plastic surgeon, marketing is essential to developing and growing your practice. But with so many platforms and strategies to choose from, it can be tough to know where to start. That’s why we’ve put together this blog post with our top TikTok marketing tips for plastic surgeons. Keep reading to learn more.
The Power of TikTok for Plastic Surgeons
Why Is TikTok Important for Plastic Surgeons?
TikTok is a powerful tool that can help plastic surgeons reach a wider audience and promote their brand. The platform has a global reach and is especially popular with younger users. While some surgeons might at first think TikTok’s lower average user age makes it less ideal for this particular niche, TikTok offers an engaging and creative way to connect with potential patients, showcase your work, and build trust with your audience.
Plus, older millennials and even some Gen X and baby boomers are starting to get on the platform at a higher rate of frequency as word travels about the app’s sophisticated content matching algorithms.
Some of the benefits of using TikTok for plastic surgeons include:
- Reach a wider audience. TikTok has a global reach, which gives you the opportunity to connect with potential patients from all over the world. This is especially helpful for in-demand surgeons or those who offer exclusive services that are difficult to find elsewhere that patients regularly travel for.
- Showcase your best work. TikTok is a great platform to show off your work and get people interested in your services. You can post before and after photos, or create short videos that highlight your skills and give potential patients a glimpse of what you can do. Behind-the-scenes posts tend to be extremely popular — just be aware of TikTok’s stringent content policies so your content isn’t removed or kept endlessly under review.
- Build trust with your audience. Trust is essential in the medical field, and TikTok can help you build trust with your audience before they even walk through your clinic doors as a patient. By sharing informative and educational content, you can position yourself as an expert in your field and gain your patients’ trust and faith in your work and overall clinical approach.
What Plastic Surgeons Should Think About Before Getting Started With TikTok Marketing
There are a few things plastic surgeons should consider before getting started with TikTok marketing:
- Make sure your content is appropriate for the platform. TikTok has both light-hearted and meaningful content, so try to offer your audience a good mix of both until you get a better sense of what they respond best to using your analytics data.
- Be prepared to produce a lot of content. Because TikTok is a short-form video platform, users expect to see new videos on a regular basis. Surgeons who are serious about marketing on TikTok should be prepared to post multiple videos per week.
- Have a clear idea of what you want to accomplish with your TikTok marketing. Are you looking to generate leads, build brand awareness, or something else? Once you have a clear goal in mind, you can create content that is designed to achieve that goal.
- Think about how you can have fun with it. TikTok allows you to be creative and show off your company’s personality. Your content should reflect the values, interests, and goals of your team, but it’s important not to take things too seriously. The great thing about the platform is you can delete a video later if it’s not working for your audience.
8 Essential TikTok Tips For Plastic Surgeons
1. Customize Your Brand Profile
Make sure your profile is up-to-date and reflects your brand. Use high-quality images and videos, and consider using a professional photographer or videographer to help you create content that really pops. If you want to really make your profile stand out, you can use graphic design programs or applications to create professional-looking visuals. Keep your bio short, sweet, and to the point, and don’t forget to include a call-to-action.
2. Brainstorm Content Ideas
What type of content do you think will most resonate with people in your target market? What would they like to see? Keep in mind that TikTok is all about creativity, so think outside the box. You could do a series of before-and-after transformation videos, quick tips and tricks videos, or even just fun behind-the-scenes footage of your office.
3. Collect Client Testimonials
If you have happy patients, why not show them off? Client testimonials are always a great way to build social proof and show off your company’s satisfied patients post-procedure. You could even do a series of customer testimonial videos featuring different customers each time.
4. Educate Patients
Many patients are always looking for tips on how to properly take care of their skin at home, both before and after their cosmetic procedures at your office. They also want to know about different procedures, how they’re performed, and how each produces the desired results.
By offering DIY tips, FAQs, and educational information, you can demonstrate authoritative expertise in the field and help patients get the best results possible. This, in turn, will likely lead to more referrals and positive reviews from patients who are happy with their results.
5. Post Before & After Photos
As we’ve mentioned, a great way to show off your happy patients is to post before-and-after photos of their plastic surgery procedures. This is an excellent way to show off your work and give potential patients an idea of what to expect. Just be sure to get patient permission first and use discretion when choosing which photos to share.
6. Use the Right Hashtags
Hashtags are essential on TikTok because they help people find your content and can make or break whether or not your video goes viral. Do some research to find out which hashtags are popular in the field of cosmetic surgery, as well as which ones are being used by your competitors. Then, use relevant hashtags in the caption of each video for more visibility.
7. Create a Content Calendar
Just like with any other social media platform, it’s important to have a plan when it comes to posting on TikTok. Map out what kind of content you want to post and when you want to post it using a content calendar. This will help ensure that you’re consistently putting out high-quality content that resonates with your audience.
8. Participate In Your Community
TikTok is all about community, so it’s important to look for ways to get involved with other creators in your niche. Follow other users, comment on their videos, and share their content if you think it could be valuable to your followers.
You can also join relevant groups and participate in challenges that increase your viewership but are not necessarily related to cosmetic surgery content. By getting involved in the platform this way, you’ll be able to build relationships with other users that will ultimately help to expand your reach.
Request a Surefire Local Demo Today
If you’re like most plastic surgeons, you understand the importance of marketing your practice. As one of the fastest-growing social media platforms, TikTok offers an incredibly powerful way to reach new patients and grow your business.
Our team will show you how easy it is to get started and offer helpful tips for creating engaging content that resonates with your audience. With our help, you can reach more potential patients and grow your cosmetic surgery practice. Schedule a demo of our business intelligence marketing software today to learn more about how we can help you reach your advertising goals. Call now at (703) 884-8442 or fill out our quick online contact form and we’ll be in touch.