Google My Business Updates
- According to Google, reviews are returning by “country and business category.” It’s unclear which categories will start to see reviews first.
- Newly published Google reviews are being backdated to the date they were originally submitted by the reviewer.
- We recommend that you resume asking for reviews to boost your rating and better position your business for the future.
- The ability to respond to a review returned on April 7th.
- The Questions and Answers section was originally removed but has returned to some industries such as restaurants and retail.
- Most edits made in the GMB dashboard are publishing now but it varies based on the Google account.
Key takeaway: Google is behind due to reduced staffing so everything is going slower, but don’t make the mistake of neglecting your digital presence.
Google has temporarily removed some Google My Business (GMB) functionality that will directly impact your small business:
- Posting reviews
- Replying to reviews
- Creating new Q&As
This is a move by Google to help local businesses based on the fluid situation with open/closed and operating hours statuses. Yelp was first to remove the ability to review a local business and Google soon followed. Both are trying to prevent reviews that may be ill-informed or malicious.
Our guidance is to hold off asking your clients for reviews, for now, just to be safe. Based on our testing, you won’t lose any reviews created now. A new review can be created but only seen by the reviewer. We expect any reviews created during this time to eventually publish once things get back to normal.
Now is a great time to review your Google My Business settings with your digital marketing strategist to confirm it is accurate, based on your current situation.
Here’s What We’re Seeing:
We are much closer to a massive economic cash infusion:
- For Small Businesses: $350 billion in assistance
- For Families: $1,200 to $2,400 for individuals and married couples
- For Homeowners: Breathing room thanks to protections against foreclosures
As a trusted partner, Surefire Local is invested in your business success. If you have any questions, contact your digital marketing strategist. We are here to help!