If your business is listed on Google+ Local, you’ve most likely gotten at least a few spam reviews from people using your business to advertise everything from their own company to work-at-home schemes. Universally disliked, spam can distract potential customers from your business’s positive reviews. Thankfully, Google has responded to business owners’ complaints with new restrictions on spam reviews.
Better Spam Detection
Google has recently updated its spam detection algorithms, making it more likely that spam reviews on your Google+ Local page will be caught and deleted. These changes help not only business owners like you, but also consumers who might be tempted by bogus websites.
As always, Google has been making rapid updates to keep up with emerging trends. Some of the most important updates include the addition of reviews on its Google Places mobile app and new photo-sharing capabilities for Google+ Local pages.
Tips For Businesses
While it’s good news that Google is taking action to reduce spam on Google+ Local pages, it doesn’t stop there. As business owners, there are steps that you can take to make the most out of Google reviews.
- If your business gets a negative review, it’s best to be direct and prompt in your response. Google won’t remove any reviews just because they’re negative. No one besides Google knows how to remove negative reviews, so don’t believe anyone who says they can.
- If a company or person promises to generate positive reviews for your business, don’t fall for it. Google will recognize glowing reviews and remove them immediately.
- Although it might seem like a good idea to set up a laptop in your shop or office for people to leave positive reviews on your Google+ Local page, Google prohibits the practice.
- Don’t offer customers any type of gift or discount in exchange for a positive review. This is banned as well.
- Also, it’s against the rules for employees of a company to write reviews about an employer, although this one might be more difficult for Google to detect.
- Keep in mind that Google removes any review that contains a link to another website because it identifies it as spam.
The best way to get positive Google+ Local reviews, and play by the rules, is to deliver exceptional customer service. If you go out of your way to meet your customers’ needs, they’ll go out of their way to make sure that others know about it.
See the major search engine guide or the Google guide for tips on leveraging the power of Google and other search engines to attract customers to your contracting business.